Crisis


"Young people are looking for a formula for putting on the universe -- participation mystique" (McLuhan 114).

When I first started my blog I wanted it to be centered around conversations I think every family should have. Conversations about loneliness, heart break, friendship, future plans, and just things people get awkward talking about. I want these conversations to especially happen at family gatherings where all the life questions seem to pop up. "What are your plans for the future? What are you studying in college? What are you doing over the summer? Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah." Like does anyone really have their life figured out?! Cause I sure as hell don't.


As I have said before, most of my work is centered around female empowerment, specifically that of womyn of color, but I want to do more. I want to have conversations.

Starting this photo project was really hard for me. I don't have a phone anymore (lost it and refuse to get a new one) and I feel like carrying around a camera is forceful and pretentious. A phone is discrete and normal, and is an extension of its owner while a camera is separate from and simply extra. As a result, everything sort of happened a bit last minute. Time well invested, but a spur of the moment. With the images I captured, I wanted to enter a conversation about the notion of home and what it feels like to belong. I'm not happy with the work, but at least now I have a better idea than when I first started.



                                                                                                                      Broken, Appleton, WI, 2017






Comments

  1. I really like the concept of placing the unfinished buildings in a black and white composition. It gives the buildings more meaning, and allows the viewer to focus on texture instead of color. There is a lot hiding in these photos, and even though you said you don't like them, I think there is a beauty to the last minute and frustrating side of taking photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts