Your Secret Story

My friend Jen and I came up with this game.

Your Secret Story

Must be played with 4 or more people.
Objective: To become intuitive story tellers.
No Rules: Stories can be told orally, danced, a song etc. make it yours.

1. On a piece of paper, anonymously write a secret.
2. Place your paper in a collective jar.
3. Patiently wait for everyone else to write their secret.
4. Once everyone has written their secret, take turns picking a secret and telling it to each other.

Barthes writes that "the birth of the reader must be at cost of the death of the Author" (148). In creating this game, I thought about the idea of keeping hidden and revealing. I wanted there to be no one creator and no natural end to the game. I wanted it to continue for as long as the players so wanted. 
The act of secret writing challenges the player to think outside the box, while inviting them to let parts of themselves be "known", exist on their own. Because "…the author is never more than the instance writing, just as/ is nothing other than the instance saying/: language knows a 'subject', not a 'person'..." (145).


Examples of secrets and how they were told: 
  • I've never had sex before. --> interpretative dance 
  • I like feet. --> oral story 
  • My tooth is fake. --> show and tell 


Comments

  1. this is really cute! do you have to also guess who's secret it is? i don't think its necessary I'm just wondering... i like how the audience has to interpret the secret into their own art, their own secert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the game you brought to class. It was very insightful yet tons of fun

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts