Lucid Dream

In Simulations by Jean Baudrillard, he lists four successive phases of the image (11):
- it is the reflection of a basic reality
- it masks and perverts a basic reality 
- it masks the absence of a basic reality 
- it bears no relation to any reality 

Media appeals to people's innate desire to look, and then it tells you how to desire. Looking at oneself in the mirror is different from when you imagine how you look, and these phases of the image further complicate how looking is impacted by the image itself. 

"Film no longer allows you to question. It questions you and directly." (119) 




Jennifer Joan
and Nguyen
both masks and subverts a basic reality. The people in the photo are a momentary manifestation of versions of themselves. To work with each of them was so rewarding and fun, and I feel so appreciative. They trusted me to take full control of how they look (collaborating with them throughout the process) and it was fun to change how I saw them.


(Untitled 1)

Untitled 1 came after photographing Nguyen, and I asked her to be a part of a dance video Ben Tran was recording for me. I directed him while I improvised the entire shoot, and I edited the video adding fair use sounds. They were so awesome at following my improvised directions; and the process also shaped the way I saw the photographed persona of Nguyen while editing them.

(Jennifer Joan)

I was so inspired by Untitled 1, I made Jennifer Joan

The Project:

Creating and photographing personas; and expressing those personas through dance. 


Comments

Popular Posts