Refelction Blog Post: Melissa Potter & Reni Gower

Image result for pulped under pressure

So, I walked into this artist talk late and to be honest. I had no idea what the fuck they were talking about. The entire time they read from a pre-written document and whenever people read out loud I have a hard time following because I can't see the words for myself. The entire time I was there they just read without ever really looking at the works, it felt so robotic and detached and I honestly just wanted it to be over. Also, whenever Melissa Potter deviated from reading it made me really awake and I enjoyed those moments best. 


While answering questions I felt like I learned so much more from Potter, just about the usage of paper and its environmental effects. I think a moment that stood out most for me is when someone in the audience asked, "I see there are a lot of women in your presentation, is that intentional?" and Reni Gower responded saying she hadn't even realized. Like how do you miss something so important, but Potter came to the rescue thank God!!

Honestly the entire time it felt like they were mad at each other and were trying to keep the tenseness and awkwardness at bay for the presentation, but that shit was pretty obvious. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't think so though (lol). 

Anyways, I really liked the works of Matilyn Propp and Jillian Bruschera. I remember in the talk, Propp's work was described as mutated turtles, and I really liked the one that looked like turtles that evolved into having snake skin haahahaa. It's an interesting commentary on environmental issues such as pollution and habitat destruction. The thing I really liked about Bruschera's work is how paper mixed with other materials and still remained itself ( I think this is the right artist). It was just a beautifully heterogeneous process and I wished they spoke more about that relationship. I think the artist said, the work is about gay issues, but I honestly didn't see it. I could be wrong though, or just confused.


Comments

Popular Posts