Reflection Post: Nelson Ramirez de Arellano Conde

To be honest. The lecture was really overwhelming. I definitely learned a fucking lot, but Nelson Ramirez gave so much information in such a short period of time. It felt like I was studying for a final exam 30 minutes before the exam, which for me meant information retention rate was lowwwwww.  

It was crazy to see multiple visual representations of how little Cuba has changed for the past few years. I've heard people talking about this timeless aesthetic of Cuba, and not only did Ramirez talk about it he captured and critiqued it. Also, there is a beauty in the fact that the essence of the past is so present in the everyday life of people on the island, rather than disposed of by modernity. 


One of my favorite work from the lecture (I don't remember the name of the artist, sorry) is the one where the photographer (s) captured the bedrooms of over 100 people on the island. There was such a uniquely, effortless quality about each of the bedrooms that is reminiscent of life in Jamaica, and how I imagine every island to feel. Also, someone's bedroom is usually one of if not the most private part of their home, and I think that aspect of a home says a lot about what the individual values in their secret life. 


Over all, the lecture was exceptional, and I and many others was gifted with the names of so many great artist that I think everyone should know about.

Comments

Popular Posts