Something Already Happened: Reflecton Post

On the days leading up to our show in the Mudd Gallery I was so excited, I invited just about everyone I knew; however everything slowly began to fall apart. I’d never put my work on display like this before, so I felt really intimidated. I was very proud of my work, but I’d slowly become overly protective of it.  As a result of that, on the day of the show (which was an exciting one), I was so anxious to go inside the gallery that I stayed outside eating cookies for like  5-10mins and then I left because more and more people were showing up and I was just like “fuck this, I can’t handle it.” I think this whole experience made me think a lot about this idea of validation, and authorship as well as the type of artist I want to be. I want people to know I made the shit I did, but also I want people to like it and I don’t think I’ve reached the point yet where I am 100% okay with people not understanding my work or liking it. However, that won’t stop me from continuing to create, like I said, I just need to figure out what kind of artist I want to be and how I will become that.

Comments

Popular Posts