Reflection Post: Our Trans Family

White men take up so much space. I went to this talk on "Our Trans Family", they had an exhibit in the Wriston Gallery, but the talk wasn’t what I expected. It was two old, retired white men, who do photography because they can and not because they have to (basically their words). They spoke about how they asked these popular trans activist for their blessing because they knew that if they didn’t get their blessing the project wouldn’t be successful (paraphrase). Ok. I was intrigued, but I still wondered why they didn’t work with these trans activist or just other trans artists on the project? White men take up too much space. Were these two old men making up for the action they didn’t take in their youthful days? Oh, I’m sorry. Jeff marched in a bunch of protests or that’s what he says. SO I guess he’s excused.

Besides all their faults, I appreciate the work they did. AND some of the more interesting points they made.
“When you’ve met a transgender person, that’s it.”
“What the transgender community looks like when you begin to take their rights away.”
“When did you decide to change?” -- STUPID QUESTION!!!!

Darla 2 b& w.jpg

Comments

Popular Posts