Over and Over


"Time" has ceased, and "space" has vanished (McLuhan 63). McLuhan speaks a lot about the medium transcending time and I wanted to capture that. However, I didn't have an idea as to how I would represent this visually. For days I had the image of a relatively dark and small space, with one person seated comfortably at a table as I secretly stared at them drinking tea. Obviously that isn't the image I ended up capturing. I thought about that image a lot, and though it was beautiful, in my head, I wasn't moved to replicate and capture it.


Instead, I captured Bane doing her makeup. Throughout the process we see her approving of herself; a sort of self love. She spends most of the time looking in the mirror appreciating her handy work. And like the mirror, the camera became a corroborator of this beauty. She takes her time to apply her lipstick, slowly following the curves of her lips as if someone is watching. Of course I am watching, but was she performing for me? She laughed when I commented on it, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't doing it to entice me. I might carry a big stick, but she is as straight as they come. Haha. But seriously though.


A lot of female identifying people spend a lot of time putting on a mask. Accentuating their features. Actions repeated; over and over. Time and space dedicated to this act. Over and over again. Who are they beautifying themselves for? Where are they going? Who will see them?

This video allows you to enter the space and time where she divulges the most amount of love for herself. It is only in this moment where she is allowed to speak highly of herself. A momentary transformation made permanent by the camera.

Comments

Popular Posts